Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2010 Food Trends I'm Sick of

I'm thinking about somewhat expensive meals I've had out in trendy restaurants in 2010. I don't eat like that often, since I cook and tend to favor more traditional foods. But as much as I love grandma cooking I can't bury my head in the sand. There's a big culinary world outside my door, and I won't pretend it doesn't exist. Unfortunately I'm seeing quite a bit bandwagon hopping, brought on by the economic downturn. Something works for one place and it's immediately copied ad nauseum. I'm all for innovation from the very few who can be innovators; I can do without watered-down copycats. But they seem to be everywhere in one form or another. Here are some of their crimes I've noticed this year:

Asian fusion - When it happens organically we get brilliant things, like Vietnamese sandwiches, Japanese curries, Thai food, Korean tacos and Sriracha sauce. In the hands of inspired and talented chefs we get some of the top restaurants in the country, offering exciting flavors and signature dishes. But as a concept in less expert hands it leads to gimmicky, overpriced food. A recent example I suffered through was Asian fusion Southern BBQ soul food. Japanese pizza makes more sense to me, and that's not saying much.

"Gourmet" junk food - A good burger is a good thing, so don't make it a con job. Anyone who sources their meat well and treats it with respect can turn out a good burger. When restaurants start duping the gullible by throwing supposed Kobe beef into a meat grinder and charging high dollars for the destroyed result I'm going to take offense. Same goes for posh places offering "sliders" as appetizers. It's not cute; it's infantile. Don't mess with pizza, either. I have no problem paying over $20 for a pie with a perfect crust and top shelf ingredients lovingly fired in a wood burning oven. But charging that much for a so-so pizza just because someone decided to express themselves by piling it high with silly toppings? That's not only insulting your customers, you're insulting the very concept of pizza. Honest junk food made from good ingredients is a delicious indulgence. Tarting it up and trying to pass it off as fine food is a con job.

Pork belly - I love pork in all of its wonderful forms, belly included. I'm happy it made something of a comeback, and I'll indulge a few times a year. But I don't need to see it on every menu. It's getting a little tiresome.

Ridiculous portion sizes - If I want tapas, meze or dim sum I'll go to places that specialize in such. But if you're going to charge me $12 for three mini-tacos because your concept is "Mexican tapas" I'm going to call you a rip-off artist. Reasonable portions, please. This cuts both ways: if I order an appetizer and a main, and am too stuffed to do more than pick at the main there's a portion control issue, unless it's obvious that dishes were meant to be shared. Unless I'm there for a tasting menu I don't expect to waddle out of a restaurant in pain. And if I have to order four or five items to make a meal I expect there to be at least a vague correlation between the prices and the quality of what arrives at the table. Calling it "tapas" is not an excuse, unless what you serve is actually tapas.

Over salting - I'm not anti-anything, with the exception of low end commercially processed food. Fat is fine. Carbs are fine. Sugar is fine. Salt is fine, too. I expect restaurant food to be saltier than home cooking. When I go out for ramen I know I will consume twice the recommended daily salt intake in half an hour. But I don't expect to be unsure whether the burn in my mouth is from chili peppers or salt, which has happened in more than one popular NYC restaurant. I don't expect to go to a place famous for meticulously sourced ingredients prepared simply, only to find more than one dish nearly inedible because an unsure hand in the kitchen got too enthusiastic with the salt. Salt brings flavor to life, and an extra pinch improves simply prepared food. There is a point of diminishing return, though, and acknowledgment of it would be nice. I know making the food a little extra salty boosts wine sales, and I expect that from a wine bar. I prefer a little more restraint from a restaurant.

Cocktails with food - The fancy cocktail trend is well past its peak. I haven't heard the word "mixologist" in over a year, and I'm thankful for that. So I must voice my disapproval of those who try to prop up this waning fad by suggesting food/cocktail pairings. I'm sure that's great for people who don't like to taste their food, but for the rest of us the idea is laughable.

The "locavore movement" - Now that organic is nearly meaningless people need something to hold onto. So let's take a few things that make sense, such as eating seasonally and favoring locally produced foods, then build some misguided ethos out of it. No thanks. I have no plans to do without my coffee, wine, olive oil, citrus and spices, and have no desire to be part of any "movement". See you at the farmer's market.

Abuse of truffle oil - Oil is the poor man's way to get some truffle flavor into a dish. Yes, it can make your mashed potatoes ethereal, and turn a simple plate of grilled asparagus into a fine starter course. When did it become a commonplace thing, and should we be happy about it? I've only had real truffles a few times in my life, but the oil seems to be everywhere. I don't approve. It's kind of like passing off lumpfish roe as caviar, eating it often, then becoming jaded to the wonder of the real stuff. Or drinking so much prosecco in cans (yes, they sell it in cans) that you lose the ability to appreciate champagne. Hopefully the recent steep decline in truffle oil quality will return truffle flavor to the rare pleasure it once was. As tasty as they may be, a side of truffle fries sitting next to your $25 dollar hamburger is silliness. So is a $10 egg on toast flavored with the stuff. Enough already.

Wildly overpriced Mexican in NYC - I know that good inexpensive Mexican food in this town usually requires a trip to unfashionable neighborhoods. And I appreciate the handful of places that serve truly high end Mexican food. What I can't stand is places that are little more than mediocre taquerias, priced as if they were fine dining establishments because of their location in trendy neighborhoods and the fact that they pour top shelf tequila. I can practically hear the laughter from the left coast, and I'm ashamed for my fellow New Yorkers. This has got to stop.

My fear for 2011 - Sugar. In everything. Sweet sauces everywhere. Meat never served without a sweet wine reduction, a fruity sauce or some kind of sugary Asian fusion rub/dipping sauce. Wine lists will run in the opposite direction, moving toward flinty, mineral wines without a hint of residual sugar, making the sweet food completely unable to pair with anything on the list. And everyone who just graduated from waiting in line for Shake Shack will think it's wonderful.

14 comments:

RozNYC said...

I agree with a lot of this. I've been waiting for the Thai trend to die. I love Thai food, but suddenly there are Thai restaurants everywhere, and I only know of two that are actually good.

My favorite Mexican spot is in Castle Hill, but I'd rather have home cooked Mexican, that's always the best. I've been to some overpriced Mexican restaurants, I can't even remember what I had, it was that underwhelming.

Great entry.

JP Bowersock said...

Thanks, LaRosa.

I don't get the popularity of dumbed down Thai joints. Why would someone do that? Then again, I don't get the popularity of heavily Americanized Chinese or fast food sushi, yet both seem to be very popular. I could go the rest of my life without eating a California roll or General Tso's Chicken.

But the greater sin, in my book, is careless cross cultural cuisine in a more upscale scenario. I'm not against new ideas in flavor combination. I'm not against chefs being innovative if they're good at it. But I don't what to pay serious money to discover that maybe only half of the innovative dishes on the menu actually work. Let's face it: very few are going to be a David Chang or a Jean Georges Vongerichten. Experiment all you like, but please, make sure those dishes that make it to the menu are the successful ones. I'm not yet convinced things like curry powder in the escargots or Hoppin' John are a success.

Haven't made it up to Castle Hill for Mexican yet, but have had some good Mexican in Washington Heights. I'm planning a foray or two to Sunset Park in Brooklyn in the spring, and I have high hopes. Unfortunately I've learned to avoid most Mexican on the Lower East Side, although I agree with you that La Barra Cevicheria isn't at all bad.

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Wan-wan, we met in France last summer at the last show of julian, i don't know if you remember me... Anyway, i'm going to nyc for few days this month and i wanted to know if you could post or send me some good places to eat while i'm there since you live there and have some good taste for food.
Anyway hope you are well and i wish all the best for the new year!
Oh and keep posting on your blog, it's very interesting! :)

JP Bowersock said...

Wan-wan,

Very nice to hear from you. I'm pretty sure I do remember you - we talked as I had started walking down the street after the show at Cite de la Musique. You said you liked this blog.

What are you looking to eat in NYC? At the moment Japanese Ramen noodles are very popular, and Ippudo is one of the most popular places, but there's ALWAYS a wait.

Are you on Yelp.com? If so you can contact me there and I'll provide you with a number of direct links to places and reviews of them. Otherwise we can continue discussing this here.

My Yelp profile:
http://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=GqoQO_FXPp-gTuxRx3_AoQ

Anonymous said...

I think that you have mistaken me with someone else lol because i didn't see you in paris... but i was in toulouse and in brittany - a not very tall chinese girl - and i shared the ride back to toulouse with cynthia after the show

I don't know exactly... i'm open to everything as long as the food is very good. It's my first time in nyc so i don't really know where to go...
I guess i don't mind the waiting if the noodles are really worth it!

And no, i'm not on yelp, actually i didn't know about it...

JP Bowersock said...

Dear Wan-wan,

Now I remember you!

For NYC I recommend the following:

Ippudo - ramen

Momofuku - reservation is hard to get - go for lunch - David Chang is one of the hottest chefs in town and one of the few doing great Asian fusion. He has a few restaurants.

Pizza - NYC pizza can be very good. Best places include Grimaldi's (in Brooklyn), Lil' Frankie's (pretty good and in the East Village, where you'll want to spend some time), Lombardi's is a classic, and Patsy's is one of the best. There are two main kinds of pizza here: slice joint, which is a great junk food snack and Neapolitan, which is better, more expensive and made in a wood fired oven. Slice joints are all over the place. Neapolitan places are worth going out of your way for.

Italian - Italian in NYC is very good, but you pay for it. Inexpensive Italian can be very poor. Don't eat in Little Italy; it's a tourist trap. For good neighborhood Italian try Lavagna. For more upscale there's Del Posto. Both in the East Village. If Del Posto is too crowded the wine bar next door, Il Posto Accanto is run by the same people and offers snacks to go with their good selection of Italian wines.

Old Lower East Side - Katz's Deli is worth a visit. (Hold on to your ticket, as you pay by presenting it to the cashier on your way out). A take out bagel sandwich from Russ and Daughters is a good taste of Lower East Side Jewish heritage.

Chinatown - I'm a big fan of Manhattan's Chinatown, often shopping and eating there. It's worth a walk around. If you decide not to have a meal there you still might want to swing by a dumpling place, such as Vanessa's or Prosperity to see how much deliciousness you can get for a dollar in this town.

Cafe Katja - Cute little Austrian place on Orchard St (Lower East Side). High quality food for a reasonable price served by nice people in a tiny place.

Jimmy's #43 - Downstairs place on 7th Street in the East Village. Great selection of beer and local food that varies from good to excellent. Gets crowded and noisy. Cool decor.

El Castillo de Jagua - Not a fine food place, but a good taste of NYC's Latino (Dominican, in this case) heritage for very reasonable prices on Rivington Street. If that seems a little too lowbrow for you try Casa Adela (Cuban) on Ave C.

wd50 - Not for everyone (self included), but this very adventurous place is run by a man considered to be an uncompromising genius. I'm a little too much of a traditionalist to get into it, but respect what he's doing. Expensive.

Also very "in" at the moment, probably because of the economy: Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches, burgers, Korean fried chicken and all manner of fancy sandwiches. Lots of "New American" food, which is upscale takes on American comfort food dishes. I'm not a fan because it's expensive versions of food I can make just as well at home. But the kids seem to love it.

That's what I can offer. You'll notice it's focused on the East Village and Lower East Side, but that's my little world.

Enjoy your trip!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this list, i really appreciate it !! I’ll be there for only 4 days so i guess i won’t be able to try everything but i can’t wait to check out some of those restaurants !

Dean said...

On the subject of Mexican food, do you ever cook it & have any recipes to share?

There was one post a while back which said that you'd eat it on the road and not want to make it for yourself.

Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese

JP Bowersock said...

Dean,

I don't do much Mexican at home, being married to a woman who would rather eat South Asian when it's time for something spicy. I figure I'll get it when I travel, but won't bother at home if it's only likely to get a tepid response from my wife.

Every now and then I take a stab at it, however. If the results are noteworthy next time I do I'll post the results.

Anonymous said...

Hi JP,
Thank you so muck for the adresses! Today, I went to Grimaldi's and I didn't eat a pizza that good in a long time!
Oh and your Chinatown, I mean Manhattan's Chinatown, is way much better than Paris' Chinatown! You can find so much things that I can't in Paris. For a second I thought I was in Hong Kong with everyone there speaking cantonese. I also tried some dumpling at Vanessa's, it was almost as good as the ones that my father makes.. But I guess, for a dollar, I can't complain lol
In a Chinatown bakery, I saw some crispy dumpling (with inside sugar+peanut+coconut or with red beans), they are usually made for chinese new year. I don't know if you already tried some but generally it's quite good too!

I think I'm going to walk around in East village and Lower east side tomorrow, so I'll try Ippudo or Momofuku. I'll tell you what I think about it...

Wan-wan.

JP Bowersock said...

Wan-wan,

So glad you're enjoying my city! I absolutely love Chinatown, and am very happy to live just a few blocks from it. And guess what? Manhattan's Chinatown is one of three in the city, the others being in Flushing, Queens and Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Because this is NYC, and we need three Chinatowns!

Enjoy the East Village. It's lovely. I lived there for years. If you make it down to my neighborhood again you might want to hit Doughnut Plant. I'm not too big on sweets, but even I have to admit their Tres Leches Cake Doughnut is a work of art.

Anonymous said...

Wow 3 chinatowns !! lucky you, but that’s not fair at all lol

I’ll keep Doughnut plant in mind but I guess won’t be able to try it this soon because I already left nyc…

I loved Ippudo, the food, the atmosphere, the waiters, everything, i really had a great time !

Can’t wait to come back, and try some more, but not at the same time, it’s way wayyy tooo cold !!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to share with you the best chinese restaurant, i would say in the world but i guess i'm not very objective at this point since it's my dad's one..
It's called 'Jardin de sans souci' (124, avenue de Villiers) in the 17th district.
Next time you are around Paris, you should try it! Say you come on my behalf, you'll have the possibility to try some specialities that's not on the menu.. (even though there are already too many choice on the menu..)

Angie said...

Speaking of overpriced mediocre mexican food. There are alot of places out here in Southern California that are supposed to be
"Authentic Mexican food", but it just ends up being overpriced and tasteless. I'm always so excited when I find a great mexican dive for a reasonable price. Reading your blog makes me want to go to NY to try out the food. Hopefully I'll make it out there sometime soon!!!