Monday, November 29, 2010

Germanic Salad in Buttermilk Dressing

I've traveled in the German-speaking world many times, often enjoying the food there more than I expected to. I expected the great brown breads, the good beer, wursts and schnitzel. But I loved being caught off guard by things like a sublime venison stew in Switzerland, outrageously good pork in Germany and the best pumpkin soup of my life in Austria. (Great wine in Austria as well). Of all the great things I've eaten in the German-speaking world, one that ended up in my own kitchen was one of the simplest: a composed salad with a dairy-based dressing (joghurt salatsauce). Variations of this salad can be found throughout Scandinavia as well. Easy to understand its popularity.

I first had this salad on tour with folksinger Rod Macdonald somewhere in Germany. Our bass player was a vegetarian, so large salads showed up at our table along with the meat dishes Rod and I ordered. They were often layered: cooked root veggies on the bottom (beets, potatoes), salad greens, then more veggies on top (cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, sprouts, corn, celery - whatever was good and in season). The dressing was a vinaigrette, beefed up with a pinch of sugar, some yogurt, chopped capers and fresh herbs (usually dill). That's pretty easy, adaptable and substantial. In my kitchen it's the perfect accompaniment to the classic northern meal of buttered brown bread topped with cheese, cold cuts or smoked/pickled fish, with maybe a side of pickles. I'm married to a woman who makes that bread, and the weather in NYC is right for that kind of eating now. So I've been making this salad pretty often.

My version leans toward Austria, with pumpkin seed oil in the dressing and toasted pumpkin seeds as a garnish. I also use whole buttermilk in lieu of yogurt, because I'm more likely to have it on hand. (My wife uses it for baking). I'll sometimes leave the fresh dill out if I'm not feeling it. I did so in the above photo. Also, since summer veggies are out of season here in NYC I used a winter vegetable to top the salad - a beautiful mantanghong radish, which is sweet, mild and nutty tasting. They're worth seeking out.

(This recipe serves two)

For the salad:

1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 large beet, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 handfuls salad greens
vegetables to top salad (anything in season), cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbs toasted pumpkin seeds (optional, to garnish)

For the dressing:

generous Tbs olive or toasted pumpkin seed oil
generous tsp white wine or sherry vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp capers, chopped
small clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbs fresh dill, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp sugar
pinch white pepper (or more to taste)
2-3 Tbs plain yogurt or whole buttermilk

Stir dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside. Boil potato in a small pot. Boil carrot and beet in separate pot. When root vegetables are cooked drain, then fill pots with cold water to stop veggies from cooking further, bringing them to room temperature. After a few minutes drain again. Repeat if they're still hot. Arrange between two plates. Top plated root veggies with a handful of salad greens, then the seasonal veggies you're using. Spoon dressing over each salad, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.

Serve as a light meal with bread and butter, or as a starter course to a more elaborate meal.

2 comments:

Dean said...

I made this a couple of weeks ago & it may have been the first time I ever assembled a salad from a recipe and mixed up the dressing myself, rather than grabbing a bottle from a fridge. I could taste the freshness/difference.

I was interested in trying this recipe because I really like beets, but there sure are a lot of vocal beet-haters out there.

When I was shopping for the ingredients, I missed the part about the accompanying "brown bread topped with cheese, cold cuts or smoked/pickled fish," so I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

I couldn't find any pumpkin seed oil, but assuming I do, what are some other appropriate uses for it?

JP Bowersock said...

Pumpkin seed oil is one of the trendy new flavorings in food fashion this year. The Austrians have been digging it for years, however. A grade school classmate of Cynthia's is, I think, the only one making it in the USA at the moment under the brand name Hay River. It's expensive, but it has a very nice (and strong) flavor - nutty and toasted. It's a seasoning oil, not a cooking oil - a few drops here and there (especially when nice veggies are involved) put a nice spin on a dish.

As for the brown bread, get your Northern Europe/Scandinavia head on and serve it with butter, pickles, smoked/pickled fish, cheese or cured meats. This makes for an easy meal for one, but also is very easy for entertaining - buy the stuff, put out, make the salads in advance and dress them just before serving. Throw in a simple lentil or split pea soup, a few beers and maybe a shot of schnapps or aquavit and you have a great thematically consistent meal very good for the winter!

The same dressing can be used on beets and carrots cooked together as a side dish, which is equally northern, and another way to enjoy your beets.