Thursday, December 24, 2009

Winter Udon

Back to the Northeast and snow, and guess what? Noodle soup is perfect for it! This particular one is both easy and delicious, not to mention economical. As with any soup remember how easy it is to get more of the stuff than you were planning on making. I always make too much and end up having the leftovers for lunch the next day. This soup is not like a stew that improves from an overnight rest in the fridge, so best not to go crazy with the quantities unless you're feeding a group.

For the noodles I use 1lb packages of cooked udon that I get in Chinatown for just over a dollar. Since this is the kind of item that could get expensive in a fancy supermarket I'd recommend a trip to an Asian market for the noodles. A pound of cooked udon will feed two very hungry people or as many as four or five with more modest appetites.

Here's what you need to make this at home:

1 small head Chinese Cabbage, cut up (or more to taste)
2-3 shitake mushrooms per person, stems removed and tops scored in a criss-cross pattern
meat of 1 chicken thigh per person
1-2oz tofu cut into bite size cubes per person
1 soup bowl of water per person
Soy sauce
Chinese cooking wine (optional)
pinch sugar
3 scallions per person, cut in 1/2 inch lengths
1 package cooked udon noodles

Start off with the water in a pot, adding soy sauce until the water picks up a light brown color and is a little less salty than you want your soup to be. In goes a generous glug of the cooking wine (if using) and every other ingredient except the tofu, scallions and noodles. Slowly bring to a boil. Add tofu and scallions, then reduce to low heat. You know everything is cooked through when the mushrooms are soft. In a separate pot bring some water to a boil, and toss the cooked noodles into it for a minute or so to get them ready to serve. Drain noodles, place a serving in the bottom of each serving bowl and ladle in the hot broth, veggies, meat and tofu. Eat with both chopsticks and a spoon.

4 comments:

Dean said...

Hey JP,

The #1 food-related question I've been meaning to ask you recently is if you had some thoughts & ideas for Japanese noodle soup. The question arose since I've seen a lot of different directions elsewhere about what goes into creating the stock/broth.

So, spooky timing with this recipe post.

Udon are my favorite soup noodles. I've not bought the cooked ones before, but I'll look for them when the stores re-open.

Today I'm cooking Mexican and Greek for a dinner party I'm attending.

Merry Christmas!

JP Bowersock said...

Well, that worked out, didn't it? Merry Christmas!

Dean said...

I cooked this recently and was so pleased with the results that I made it the next day, too.

I found the pre-cooked noodles in an Asian Market as you instructed & wow, I'm an instant convert. Not necessarily for the convenience, but mostly because they are the nearest thing I've found to what is served in my favorite Japanese restaurant. They were really thick, with a squarish cross-section. I've not found any dry Udon that cooks into those dimensions even with extensive boiling.

JP Bowersock said...

Being able to nail a couple favorite Japanese dishes at home makes sense. Leaves you more to blow on shochu, raw fish and ramen when you do go out!