Monday, May 4, 2009

Lebanese Fish Recipe

Eating fish is supposed to be healthy, yet many of us rarely cook the stuff at home. I suspect one reason is a lack of simple and delicious ways to prepare fish. This recipe is simple, easy and a home run as far as deliciousness is concerned. It's nothing more than fried fish (I like a flounder fillet) with a sautéed topping. The topping has a typical Lebanese flavor profile (garlic, parsley and cumin), so it pairs well Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes. It's very good with some bread or rice and a shepherd's salad (tomato, onion, cucumber, parsley, olive oil, vinegar). Vegetables sautéed in olive oil and garlic (I like the combination of zucchini, carrot and bell pepper) are a good match as well. Throw in a glass of crisp white wine and you have a nearly perfect summer meal.

For the topping:

1 medium onion, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
pinch salt
ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
olive oil for sauté

For the fish:

1 flounder fillet (about 3/4 lb)
1 Tbs flour
oil for frying

Method:

Sauté onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt. When it's nearly translucent add garlic and spices. After a couple minutes add parsley and vinegar, and sauté for another minute. Set aside. Heat oil in frying pan. Lightly dust fish with flour. Fry fish for two minutes on one side, flip it over and fry for just under a minute on the other. Flounder will break apart when overcooked. Don't sweat it if the fillet breaks apart when you flip it or remove it from the pan. Plate the fish and spoon the topping over it. Serves 2 with side dishes described above.

2 comments:

Jeff - http://www.TheeastCoastOutdoors.com said...

I have eaten this dish prepared by JP himself. I have to say it is one of my new favorite meals. I'm going to give it a try myself tonight.

JP Bowersock said...

This dish is pretty foolproof, so I'm guessing it was a success. The first time I made this one I was shocked by how good it was; now it's in regular rotation in my kitchen.